Monday, May 28, 2012

I went to this fireside on dating about a month ago.  It was really funny, well, I thought it was funny!  It was all about the approach and ways for men to handle rejection, and still look like they have confidence, and for women to make sure they touch a guy they're interested in, in a certain way, no patting, you need to brush their arm with your palm, not just fingertips... stuff like that.  I was laughing at most of it!  It was really funny to see how these dumb things she was suggesting would actually work.  The whole reason I went, was because she had written an article that someone sent to me once about why he wasn't dating, and I wanted to see her in person.  Anyways, during the meeting people were acting like this information was life or death to them.  There were moments of awkwardness, when she said things not to do, that I know I've done, and that I'd even said some of these things, that I shouldn't have, according to her, and I'd said them to someone that was sitting pretty close in proximity to me.  I actually did reject someone the way she suggested to, once, and he was there, and wouldn't even look at me.  Can we say AWKWARD!?  After the fireside, while eating refreshments, people were practicing on each other.  It was hilarious!  She did say "to practice on your B list, not your A list," and people were taking advantage of the opportunity :)

Anyways, since then I've thought about some of the things she said, and I have to say I agree with her on some of the things.  She talked about how the girl needs to feel safe.  I hadn't ever really thought about that, probably dumb of me, but it never even crossed my mind that I hadn't felt safe with people.  I know I'm pretty shy, and I don't talk much when I first meet someone, but I just thought that was because I was shy.  (The funny thing is that whenever I'm in front of a crowd, like doing my midsingles things, I may get nervous, but it's my responsibility to lead, so I lead and talk and do whatever else is required of me.)  Well, I can tell you the day I realized I felt safe in this friendship/relationship and I understood what she meant.  I also realized that I don't open up very quickly, because I don't feel safe to.  An example is that I can plan some huge activity for the midsingles and feel confidant people will come.  However, if I think of planning a game night with friends, I sit and worry that no one would come.  Sometimes it takes me a long time to build up the courage to text someone, what is that about?!  It's a text!  Another weird side to this is that I can call up anyone and ask them to do a fireside or present at a conference, but if I have to call someone I know to do one of those things, it takes me ten years to decide I can actually do it!  So backwards!  Anyways, that's my venting for the day, now that that's off my shoulders, I can stop feeling like a dork for a dumb text tonight :)

1 comment:

Haylee said...

I can just imagine some people taking the information as life or death. I understand the feeling safe thing! I am that way a lot of the time. I think texting is hard anyways cause you can never tell how the person may sound when writing the text. You can't tell their tone of voice.